Christoper M. Bloom
- 1995-2001. Saint Louis University. St. Louis, MO
- M.S. General Experimental Psychology
- Ph.D. Psychology-Behavioral Neuroscience
- 1991-1995. Canisius College. Buffalo, NY
- B.A. Psychology
- Introduction to Psychology
- Learning Theory
- Animal Learning
- Experimental Biopsychology
- Research Design & Statistical Analysis 1 & 2
Dr. Bloom’s lab focuses on both the environmental and biological antecedents to negative affect such as fear and anxiety and how those emotions can lead to maladaptive behaviors. The lab is currently investigating the factors which elicit and maintain non-suicidal self-injury as well as the role of fear conditioning in the development of human phobias.
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Bloom, C. M., Holly, S., & Miller, A. (in press-2011). Self-injurious behavior vs. non-suicidal self-injury: The CNS stimulant pemoline as a model of self-destructive behavior.
- Bloom, C.M. & Holly, S. (in press-2011). Towards new avenues in the treatment of non-suicidal self-injury. The Journal of Pharmacy Practice.
- Palladino, J.P., Bloom, C.M. (2007). Motivation & Emotion. In W.F. Buskist & S.F. Davis (Eds.), 21st Century Psychology.
- Palladino, J.P, Bloom, C.M. (2007). Consciousness. In W.F. Buskist & S.F. Davis (Eds.), 21st Century Psychology.
- Bloom, C., Venard, J., Harden, M., Seetharaman, S. (2007). Non-contingent positive and negative reinforcement schedules of superstitious behaviors. Behavioural Processes, 75, 8-13.
- Lamkin, D. M., Bloom, C. M., Michaels, Z., Barnett, J. K. (2007). Performance predicts natural killer cell activity after an acute time-limited stressor: support for the toughness model of arousal & health. Stress & Health, 23 (3), 169-173.
- Bloom, C., Dyche, J., & Davenport, D.G. (2011). Phobias: Discriminated punishment vs. avoidance. Presentation accepted for the annual meeting of the Association for Psychological Science, APS, Washington, DC.
- Bloom, C., Sheehan, K., Dell’Isola, R., Klakoskaia, D., Hou, S., & Blumenthal, B. (2011). The role of environmental stressors in stimulant elicited self-injury. Presentation accepted for the meeting of the Association for Psychological Science, APS, Washington, DC.
- Bloom, C. M., Miller, A., Pucino, D., Sheinte, J., Wante, K., & Holly, S. (2010). Conditioned Fear in an Animal Model of Self-Injurious Behavior. Poster accepted for presentation at the annual meeting of the Association for Psychological Sciences, APS, Boston, MA